Monday, May 4, 2009

Insomnia, sleep deprivation, caffeine, sugar, and a clean pair of socks

Ok, I don't know how all of the title here fits in, but I'm going for it! It's about 9:49 pm right now and I've been up for 18 hours and 20 minutes. Wahoo! I'll be up again in about six hours, which actually isn't a bad amount of sleep... I know I need more but I seem to do ok with that much. I'm not an insomniac or anything, but it seems like I never get to sleep any earlier. Don't get nearly enough time together with my wife, so when I get home (or she gets home depending on who's working later), we make dinner, shoot the breeze, watch some tv, and go to sleep. Right now Amanda is cramming through a five page paper on some medical class she's taking. Not my cup of tea, but she's really good at it. Me, I'm taking Magic and Folk Religion (an Anthropology class) and the Philosophy of Human Nature. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Trying to get some of the cobwebs out of my head from Vegas this weekend. Great ideas are only great if you can get them on paper... Hard to do when you're sleep deprived, methinks... I'll get over it, though. I'm kind of wishing today like it was the old days when I was chugging regular Coca-Cola all the time with the blessed caffeine and sugar. When I could find it, I would pick up a six pack or two of Jolt. Oh my god, I loved that stuff... Many a late D&D sessions in high school were Jolt powered. There was this liquor store in Fallbrooks that sold it, so the guys and I would run to the store and stock up. It wasn't for everyone, but it really had me going high octane! We would end a long weekend with a massive pyramid of soda cans. Yum! Now, though, I'm usually only getting the caffeine side with Diet Dr. Pepper or something. Not that I've got a major aversion to sugar, just don't need to down such large amounts in a drink, you know? ;)

As for the cleain pair of socks comment? I work from home a couple of days per week and the first thing I do when I wake up is find a clean pair of socks, get a soda, and get my allergy medication. The routine is the same when I'm working in the office, but I usually wait until I get there to drink soda. ;)

Anywho, off to sleep! I've got a ton of things to write over the next couple of weeks, so I'm hoping some rambling will clear the cobwebs...

No comments:

Post a Comment