Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What do you do when life catches up with you

Being a freelance writer on top of my normal job is fun, probably one of the best decisions I've made in the last year or so, but man does it stick my brain in the blender sometimes. It's fun and I love it, but there is this little thing called "work" that creeps into the fun. Let me get to the point before I lose you... I work 40 or more hours per week at my day job, ride the train to and from work, etc. During the time I'm physically at work, my brain is all about my day job. As soon as I clock off or take a break, the comic me kicks in, taking the reigns of my brain and running with it. What time is left for the brain to unwind? Well... it's not there! Oops! My trip to Vegas was intended to help detox my brain, but instead with every slot pull, I was filling in ideas for plots, counting the minutes until I could get back to my room and type. While sleeping, I was crunching data, processing all of the great ideas into some amount of cohesion. In otherwords, my brain needed to catch up on things.

Hit the wall when I came back from Vegas as far as exhaustion goes but today I hit the wall in another way. Man, I feel sick! Slept through my alarm and just feel generally like crap today. Alas, it happens sometimes, but usually my body waits for the weekend to give out on me, you know? On Friday afternoon it says, "ok, can I be sick now?" Today it didn't give me a choice. Wah wah wah waahhhhhhhhhh (gameshow sounds, not crying).

Anywho, in news of sickness, I found out last night that India, where the amazing artist Sachin Nagar lives, has been dealing with a severe typhoid outbreak! Living in the US, we get rather, um, sheltered as far as the full scope of world news goes, which is a shame. I'm horrible myself, making me wish I turned on the news more than once every few weeks. Even in the internet age, I rarely check news beyond comic book related. So a message to Sachin and I think all of my followers out there join me in saying hope you feel better soon and hope everyone (friends / family) are all doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment